Monday, December 5, 2022

The Truth About Safe Spaces

      The Upper Room as been a morning tradition with me since about 2001, I picked up the habit from my Grandad. Both he and his sister, my Grand Aunt Myrtle started their day with that devotional. This year, the theme for the Advent season has been "safe spaces", which gave me pause for thought.

     Psalm 91 describes the LORD as a refuge, a place of safety. As a born again Holy Spirit filled Bible believeing Christian, I take him as my safe space. When I was a young boy, when I wanted to feel safe, I relied on my Grandma Bergit-but then she died, there was no place of safety for me.

     Safety is becoming a basic human need, along with food, clothing and shelter. Security in an insecure world has become so sought after that some would give up their God given freedom  for a safe secure feeling, even if it is a false sense. I've heard that in some colleges and universities that students are supplied with "safe spaces" where they can go when triggered by an unsafe feeling. Trained counselors listen to concerns, give hugs when requested, they even supply the student with adult coloring books. Of course if it works more power to them. I'm taking the promise of Psalm 91 in my heart. May you find your own safe space in your own way and in your own time. God be with you and do the best you can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment